With over 850 members, Jan Juc SLSC is solely responsible for patrolling Jan Juc Beach.
The Club has had successes in Patrol and Lifesaving Competitions in both State and National Championships, Pool Lifesaving and Rescue competitions and consistently producing good overall results in all areas of surf lifesaving competition.
The Club consistently performs well in Victorian patrol proficiency competitions, placing 1st in our region for season 2010/2011 and our training and education programs are among the best, which means some of the very best surf lifesavers are looking after our beach going community. Our Open Patrol Competition Team took out Silver at the 2011 Australian Surf lifesaving Championships at Kurrawa, Queensland. At the 2012 Australian Championships our U17 Patrol Competition Team took out the Gold medal with the Open team taking Bronze!
We are also extremely proud of our achievements in the Junior development area with recent awards received for:
- Life Saving Victoria Nipper Parent of the Year in 2007 and 2009;
- Age Group Managers being semi-finalists in the Regional Achievement & Community Awards for the Young People's Community Involvement Award in 2008 and 2009;
- Life Saving Victoria Youth & Leadership Development Service in 2008, 2009 & 2010;
- Victorian Junior Athlete of the Year in 2009 & 2010
- Both Male and Female Athlete of the Year in 2011;
- Finalist for Victorian Club of the Year based on the Junior Development Program in 2010 and 2011
- Thomas Prize from the Australian Cancer Council for our Sun Smart Policy in 2010.
Our Surf Education Program is one of the best in the State; it teaches kids aged 7 to 14 surf awareness, surf safety, basic first aid and rescue techniques. It not only teaches kids how to look after themselves in an aquatic environment, but also how to assist someone else who may be in difficulty. They learn how to spot the dangers of the surf, such as rips and waves and also have fun competing in surf lifesaving sports such as swim and board races, beach flags, beach relays and beach sprints. Some kids use this program as a holiday program, but many continue on to become qualified surf lifesavers, giving back to the Club and the Community. We also encourage leadership development which is a great transferable skill.
The Jan Juc SLSC is largely self-funded via four major events – the Grand Final Eve Luncheon, Golf Classic, the Bells Bash Cliff Run and the Danger Ocean Swim Series. The entire Club comes together to stage these events which are the major fundraisers for the Club.
In 2013, Dulux repainted Jan Juc SLSC, watch the video here.